Diversity in Culture


What is Culture? When I think of culture, I think of the way of living that goes along from where you’re from. My family is from Mexico and to me, that means how close we are as a family, and the traditions and customs we share. For example, we are really affectionate towards each other, which can be extremely uncomfortable or strange to other of other cultures. I kiss my mom on the check whenever is say goodbye, or whenever I see her again. In addition, in Mexico its custom for families to live together until they die. The parents provide for their children as long as they can, and then, the children take care of their parents until they die. This means, parents should save some for retirement, but it’s not a huge burden on themselves because they know that their children will support them. To me, my culture is full of Mexican traditions and is full of life. For church activities, like Thanksgiving, we always have homemade delicious meals made from scratch and not store-bought items. My favorite part of church parties is the dance. We have a dance in the gymnasium and dance to our favorite Hispanic and swing music.

When I studied more about what culture meant, it made more sense. Culture means the behaviors, beliefs that characterize a group and diversity means a variety of different cultures in our society. Some things that tie into cultural diversity are Social Economical Status. What’s interesting about this one is that it’s actually not about the money. One of the factors of having a high SEC is that you have a high income. Many people believe that money buys happiness and that money is the solutions for your family problems. I’ve heard many people tell me “if only we had more money, we would be happier and get along better”. Low-income families show signs of detachment, parents always gone, too busy for children and no family structure. And it turns out that high-income families also show the same signs. In addition, mothers may also work, but if they don’t, they still have a nanny to take care of their children, while they’re out helping out with charities because it makes them feel good. But while it may be something, they’re not with their children. If you increase your income, it doesn’t mean it will change your culture. An example of this is Duck Dynasty. They live like regular income rednecks, but they’re rich. We can overcome our culture and not fall into the same pattern as our parents. Find someone who has the same financial goals and religious views. You don’t have to be rich to be happy. Although it is ideal to find someone with the same culture, it’s important to note that you can blend cultures together and learn from each other and keep part of both cultures. Come together and create a new culture!

This is something important in my life because there are definitely things, I don’t like about my culture. I don’t like getting offended so easily. Mexicans, also known as my family, take things personally and are sometimes late to forgive. One thing I learned from my ex, is forgiving always and not getting offended.

On the other hand, it’s important to have compassion for the cultures of certain groups. For example, undocumented Mexican families who travel across the border not knowing how it will affect their families. In Mexico having a close family is what makes people happy even though they don’t have money, but then they come to the United States wanting a better life for their children. They want their children to get ahead by learning English and getting a good education. But as an effect, the living expenses are higher than they expected, and because they’re undocumented, they can’t get a good job, even if they do have a bachelor’s degree. In Mexico, the father would be the provider and the mom would stay at home with the kids and cook and clean. But in the United States, they now have to work full time along with the father to be able to provide with their children. And because they don’t speak English it makes it hard for them to advance to a raise or higher position. The children have left home alone, feeling alone and may constantly get in trouble. The parents are focused on the future they hope for their children, but the children are focused on the sadness they feel from leaving their family in Mexico and not seeing their parents as often. I have compassion, for my parents, for how hard they’ve worked to provide me with a good life. I’m able to receive a college education because of them.

Comments

Popular Posts